Monday, September 11

Comprehensive Sick Boy

So I've been sick for the past 5 days. Wasn't sure what it was, but guessed I had a chest infection of sorts. Well I went to the local pharmacy and described my symptoms: chesty cough, thick phlegm, slight tightness in chest. All through TPR (Total Physical Response; Shane School's abbreviation to desribe the stupid looking body movements teachers make in front of the students to demonstrate language). They laughed and gave me some medicine.

I picked up some Chinese medicine for "Lung Cough", Azithromycin Granules and Sabutomol inhaler (Ventalin for asthma). Over the past days the symptoms have got better and I feel lively again! In China you can buy all the pescription drugs over the counter. Good, as I have easy access to cheap drugs, Bad, as I have to self diagnose myself!

Other drugs I looked at, and researched on the internet included Amoxicillin, Clindamycin Hydrochloride and Terbutaline Sulfate.

The most effective weapons available for treating bacterial lung infections are antibiotics.
However, viruses do not respond to antibiotic treatment, so the body's own defences are the main way of fighting virus infections.
Anti-viral drugs increasingly are becoming available, but at present are effective only against a few of the many kinds of viruses responsible for respiratory infections.

What was going on in my lungs!

Picture from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/

Conclusion:
Well I've read up on chest infections/bronchitis and discovered that the infection doesn't require medication in most cases and usually clears up with the help of rest, water and TLC.

More on this:
NHS Direct Online Health Encyclopaedia - Chest Infection

P.S. Kate thinks I'm very sad and wasting my time writing all of this and wishes to have no part in it! She has however been wonderful in helping me get better.

MC

1 Comments:

At 12:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nurses and Doctors - aren't they just a confidence trick in uniform with the use of sophisticated latin and metric measurments! "BP 1 over 20", yeah right, we are all going to die sometime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

people have visited this site since Sept 2004