Saturday, December 2

Pictures from Tibet and Nepal

Here are current pictures of Kate and I in Tibet, travelling from Lhasa to the Nepali border via Everest Base Camp. After these, there are some pictures from Nepal, including the animal fun at Chitwan National Park.

Me and the other half high above Yamdrok-tso at 4900 metres. This was the first day of our 6 day adventure from Lhasa to the Nepali border.


The gang, from the left, Nils(Germany), Kate, me, Chris (Canada), Emiko(Japan) and my Tibetan English student holding some sauce. We are in her little restaurant that filled with fatal levels of smoke and melted plastic bottle gasses when she stoked the fire.


Us, bloody high up, with the Himalayas laid out behind. Everest (Mt.Qomolangma), is the tallest peak on the left. The face mask kept some of the frigid air from my ruined throat!


Our first bus journey in Nepal, from the border. We have the excitement/near death experience of riding on the roof. Kate felt pretty good before we started rocking and rolling down the road!


The cutest kid living in Kathmandu, Thamel. We played with her outside the internet cafe for ages. She wanted to give us her cheese balls (coated in her spit).


My girlfriend grew up on a farm and has a natural affinity with animals and cow dung. She especially liked the cute baby elephant wanting food. This was taken at the Elephant Breeding Program in Chitwan.


Kate ready for the jungle trek, this is before we encounter all the animals. I just swam across the lake to show Bishnu, the guide, that he wasn't the only man trained in extreme out-door survival techniques. I think he respected me a lot more after that.


Blissfully unaware that the elephant below us is capable of many scary things, and was about to show us just how strong and loud she is.


Steps are for losers, use the trunk for easy access. This elephant was beautiful and didn't endanger our lives once. She loved the bath.


One evening in Chitwan, we take a picture in front of the Rapti River at sunset. On the other side the National Park begins, so no swimming across or you might get shot or eaten by a tiger. :o)


After Chitwan we find ourselves in Gorkha, home to the famous British soldiers. From here, the Gorkha Durbar, one finds a panoramic view of the valley and the Himalayas from the Nepal side. Because of perspective Everest looks lower from this side. Isn't Kate really short?


We rejected the over-priced hotels for this local man's lodge. He made us curry every night, filling our plates up until we either exploded or said "Stop". A great bloke with many entertaining friends. This is his front store with the restaurant at the back.


Now we are in Kathmandu, Thamel (again) waiting for our Indian visa's to come through, and then it's on to India.


MC

2 Comments:

At 3:35 am, Blogger Catherine said...

Hey M-

Dude, so the ultimate question is... when are you returning to England? I miss you guys so much that it is even hard looking at your blogs, I wish that the four months I had with you were extended into my year stay here. But that didn't happen and I am planning my next year. I spent a good part of my night searching for photos of Miranda and I because of this pod-cast we were on... I will tell you about that later. Either way, I was looking at these photos and was thinking that the top three places I want to be next year would include Kate and you. I miss you guys like crazy. Argg, I need to email Kate and you very soon!!! I miss you and hope your travels are safe. Love, Katie

 
At 2:55 am, Blogger Alag Acharya said...

the pictures are very beautifull, i think you should try for Annapurna Round treking (Nepal). i'm sure you will enjoy more with natural beauty of nepal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

people have visited this site since Sept 2004