Tuesday, May 16

Hiking in Shitou (Sitou, Hsitou) Forest

When one has a week’s holiday, what should one do? I opted for camping in Shitou Forest Park. It was the perfect location for hiking, getting away from polluted Yuanlin and being able to rest without disruption! It's a 1 hour 45 minute scooter ride from Yuanlin. Shitou is a massive forest reserve and has many beautiful things to see and do. The first day I walked the sights as illustrated on the map! It was great to stomp around the woodlands and sweat!

The second day I did no walking and lots of reading, finishing the book "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown. Pile of poo! An amazing day of nothing much and being a sloth..... just what I needed.

The third day I headed up Phoenix Mountain, a 5,000 metre round-trip in the heat of the afternoon and up quite a steep incline. Lonely Planet says 2,000 metres one way, but I don't believe the author ever walked it because he would have seen the "other" signs or just made it up!?!? Lonely Planet in Taiwan has a reputation out here of being rather useless.

Now my calves ache and I can't wait for more hiking loveliness.

The beautiful woods, tall thin trees!


As I came in to an opening the mountain became clear, with the sun shining behind it.


Tree and leaves - close-up.


Tree-top walkway. Amazing view, but a little scary.


View of the ground.


Lovely lily.


University Pond with Bamboo Bridge.



Day two - bored after I finished my book!



Day three - gorgeous morning sun.


The tent!


The steep mossy steps at the beginning of the hike to Phoenix Mountain.


Sweaty-boy smelling funky and looking American!


Bamboo forest.


At the top - cloudy!


Two excellent Taiwanese guys show me the recommended "backwards walk" down the mountain.


MC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

people have visited this site since Sept 2004